Wednesday, August 27, 2008

10 Tips for Holiday Cooking

Here are my top 10 tips for cooking on holidays:

  1. Pack your own knives. If you are a keen cook, then you know what I mean, and I know your knife will be sharp like mine. Nothing is worse than trying to slice a tomato with a blunt knife and this is usually the kind that you find in holiday houses. Remember to pack the knives safely - wrapping them in a clean teatowel is sufficient. For the curious, I use a Furi East-West knife (non scalloped) bought 10 years ago - it's light yet makes quick work of hard stuff, sharpens beautifully, and sits nicely in my small hand.
  2. Take some pantry essentials with you - my box would include:
    - olive oil (extra virgin & light or spray oil)
    - other oils - a flavoured olive oil (I am besotted with Pukara garlic oil) and sesame oil
    - selection of vinegars (balsamic, white and red wine vinegars)
    - soy sauce (dark, light and sweet - kecap manis)
    - selection of dried spices (I pack a small baggie of Herbie's spices)
    - sea salt (Maldon) and black pepper mill
    - some dry goods that are hard to find in a country town (I take Israeli couscous & quinoa)
  3. Pack an esky with some frozen meats as this also acts as an ice pack for some of the perishables you're taking for the first couple of days in the house (e.g. milk!)
  4. Plan for your first night's dinner and first breakfast at the very least and take the ingredients with you. It saves doing a shop when tired from a long drive and when all you want is to put your feet up for that first beer or glass of wine.
  5. If you can, find out how well equipped the kitchen is. You can talk to the real estate agent or the house owner. I have been known to take a wok (doubles as a frypan) and a slow cooker like a Le Creuset French oven specially for long slow braises in winter).
  6. Talk to the locals and find out where they shop. I ask for where to buy fruit and vegetables, a good delicatessen, fresh seafood, butcher and good restaurants.
  7. Check out the local markets and/or shop local. This is a great chance to buy produce that's close to where the growers/farmers are. And if you tend to get excited by beautiful and fresh produce like I do, take a list of the essential stuff you have to buy to curb your spending!
  8. Take a few choice recipe books and magazines, but don't go overboard. You are on holidays after all. Stay seasonal.
  9. Consider investing in a Trangia or similar camp cooking implement. I was a bit hesitant, but hubby convinced me it was a good idea. The first time we boiled water to make plunger coffee (yes, yes, no instant coffee for me) and re-heat our lunch while on the road absolutely convinced me it was worth it. Great for picnics too.
  10. And finally, be flexible and creative. It's not the end of the world if you can't find certain ingredients. Substitute or change the recipe to suit what you've got - it might just turn out to be a good result! This does get easier with time and experience.

That's about it. Happy holiday cooking!

No comments: